Data science is the hottest field to learn in the 21st Century. It’s a field in constant evolution and filled with excitement.
The first thing to know about Data Science is that it’s a mixed between statistics, coding and math. It’s a very exciting field.
The center of the three circles
People who know how to code, statistics and math are very specific people. For this reason, Data Scientists are hard to find. Companies are spending a lot of money to develop more data scientists because technology has enable fast data acquisition. Now, the problem is there isn’t enough people able to read it, process it and model it to turn it into useful insights that support technology development.
How can I get more experience?
- Work on a data science project weekly.
- Suscribe to data science channels and stay updated.
- Document your work so people know what you’re working on!
- Choose a topic for each week and become an expert.
- Find themes that interest you.
- Ask other people in the field their comments. Socialize!
Remember, you can do this! You only need:
- Time management
- Fight your fears - hands on code!
- Talk others about your work
Here are different areas you can work on weekly:
- Extracting raw data
- Reading data
- Cleaning data
- Analyzing data
- Visualizing data
- Testing models
- Document models
Every project needs to be complete:
- Well documented
- Can you just open it and run it?
- Is the accuracy dependant of time?
- Will it change with other types of data?
- Are you managing data control?
- Are you happy with the results?
- Does it cover the project goals?
- Can you expand the model?
- Can be reused?
Venn Diagram - Data Science
- Data Science
- Data science is a multi-disciplinary field that uses scientific methods, processes, algorithms and systems to extract knowledge and insights from structured and unstructured data.
- Data Engineering, Data Mining, Machine Learning, Deep Learning